Creative: Illustrating The Legend Issue

As a one-day workshop we were asked to sit and watch the 1985 film Legend and actively draw while we watched. Think character design, scenery, clothing, use of colour. If you've seen the film you will know just how totally bizarre it is and as you can imaging I had a lot of fun with this workshop. If you haven't seen it, google it now just to get the gist of what we were faced with.








The wider objective was to then take our illustrations or designs from the active drawing session and create a front cover for Little White Lies magazine. As much as I liked my line drawings of the half-faces, I felt the cover needed to be something simpler that summed up the film easily, therefore I chose to use the image of the Unicorn horn.

I produced several variations of the same design in Photoshop, alternating mostly colours and opacity of the images and text. I positioned the barcode template in the place that the real magazine places it most often. I chose the cherry blossom background because there is a rather important scene involving the unicorn where pink petals are everywhere, blowing in the wind and across the ground. I used this image and manipulated it, also using the "motion blur" filter to tone down the definition and give the illusion of movement.

As I've been working on my portfolio recently and this piece is a one-off rather than part of a series I thought it would fit perfectly as my "page 1" to be placed at the front of my portfolio. I chose this variation of the piece to be my final outcome as I like the contrast between the colours and shapes the most.

Sunday 2 March 2014

Powered by Blogger.